- 6 (5-ounce) portions yellowfin tuna
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Sweet Corn Salad, recipe follows
- Herb Roasted Tomatoes, recipe follows
- Eggplant Caviar, recipe follows
Season each piece of the tuna with 1/8 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Heat a grill to high and grill the tuna to the desired temperature. Place 1/2 cup of the Sweet Corn Salad on each of 6 plates, and place tuna on top. Garnish each portion of tuna with 2 tablespoons of the eggplant caviar and a 4 slices of the Herb Roasted Tomatoes.
Sweet Corn Salad:
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ears sweet corn, grilled with husk on, kernels cut off the cob
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, fine diced
- 1/2 cup peeled and finely diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon pure cane syrup (recommended: Steen's cane syrup)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Heat a large nonstick skillet over a medium-high flame. Add the oil, corn and onions, and saute for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Allow to cool.
Yield: 3 cups salad, about 6 servings
Herb Roasted Tomatoes:
- 2 pounds ripe Roma tomatoes, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss to thoroughly coat. Place in a single layer on a wire rack placed on top of a baking sheet and bake until moist-dried, about 2 hours.
Let cool completely then store in airtight containers.
Yield: about 1 packed cup
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced capers
- 1/2 teaspoon finely-chopped rinsed anchovies, optional
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
In a colander, toss the eggplant slices with about 1 tablespoon of the salt, then cover with a small plate and weight; set aside to drain for 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant slices briefly under cool running water and pat dry. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Brush both sides of the eggplant with some of the oil and grill until tender, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining slices and set aside to cool. Once cooled, cut the eggplant slices into small dice and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients (including any remaining olive oil), stir to combine, and season, to taste, with remaining salt (if necessary) and pepper.
Yield: 2 cups