- 1 1/2 pounds thick swordfish steaks, cubed
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup pesto sauce
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, stems removed and rinsed under cold water
- Shaved Artichoke and Olive Salad, recipe follows
- Herbed Orzo, recipe follows
- Chiffonade fresh basil leaves, garnish
Lightly season the fish with Essence.
In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the yogurt and 1/2 cup of the pesto. Add the fish and marinate for 1 hour. In a decorative bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup yogurt and pesto to make a dipping sauce.
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. If using wooden skewers, soak in water in a shallow container for 20 minutes.
Thread the fish and tomatoes onto wooden or metal skewers. Grill until the fish is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
To serve, arrange the skewers over the Herbed Orzo and serve the Shaved Artichoke and Olive Salad on the side. Garnish with the basil and pass the yogurt-pesto sauce tableside.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Shaved Artichoke and Olive Salad:
- 2 large artichokes, all outer leaves removed to expose only the heart and bottom, stems trimmed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup brine-cured black olives, such as kalamata, pitted and quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Slice the artichokes paper-thin using a mechanical slicer, such as a mandoline. Place in a glass bowl and toss with the lemon juice, olives, parsley, and extra virgin olive oil. Let sit for 15 minutes. Serve.
Herbed Orzo with Dry Vella Cheese:
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dry Vella cheese, coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped, seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add the garlic and orzo and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Drain well.
Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.