- 1 1/2 tablespoons lard or shortening
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 pound ham, diced
- 2 pounds mixed greens (1/2 pound each spinach, collard greens, turnip greens and cabbage leaves)
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- Cayenne and salt
- Pinch ground thyme
- Up to 1/4 cup file powder
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
Heat lard in a large soup pot, add onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add ham and cook for 2 minutes. Add greens, a handful at a time, stirring them into fat until wilted before adding next bunch. Add stock, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon salt, cayenne and thyme . Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Taste for seasoning -- greens should be tender and slightly spicy; add enough salt to enhance flavors. To thicken, have gumbo bubbling gently and stir in 1 tablespoon file powder to start; add file a little at a time until thickened; simmer 3 minutes more. Serve with steamed rice and green onions.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.