Ham Hock Greens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small ham hock, with meat removed and chopped, (about 1/2 lb)
- 1/2 cup julienned onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bunches of mustard greens, washed and trimmed
- 1/2 cup Dixie Beer
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil. When the pan is smoking hot, add the ham hock meat, saute 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onions, garlic and shallots and saute until tender-- about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the brown sugar and completely dissolve in the mixture. Add the greens, completely wilting each green. Add the beer, vinegar, and hot sauce. Continue cooking the greens until nice and tender, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Mound the greens in the center of the platter, place the duck right on top with the stewed duck legs on the side towards the center. Garnish with the Sweet BBQ Sauce from the legs and shaved green onions.