Helen's Sausage Stuffed French Bread
- 2 (15-inch) French breads
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapenos
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces grated sharp Cheddar
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- Corn or tortilla chips, for dipping, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Using a serrated knife, trim the upper quarter off the length of the top of each loaf. Hollow out the center of the loaves, leaving about a 1/2-inch shell. Set aside.
Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring to break up any clumps. Add the jalapenos, bell peppers, and green onions. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cream cheese, sour cream, and cheddar cheese and stir until completely melted, about 2 minutes. Add the Essence and remove from the heat.
Fill the hollowed-out bread loaves with equal amounts of the sausage-cheese mixture and wrap each in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven, unwrap, and sprinkle with parsley.
Serve warm with chips for dipping, if desired, or cut the bread crosswise into 2-inch slices.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse,
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse