- 2 (15-inch) French breads
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapenos
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces grated sharp Cheddar
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- Corn or tortilla chips, for dipping, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Using a serrated knife, trim the upper quarter off the length of the top of each loaf. Hollow out the center of the loaves, leaving about a 1/2-inch shell. Set aside.
Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring to break up any clumps. Add the jalapenos, bell peppers, and green onions. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cream cheese, sour cream, and cheddar cheese and stir until completely melted, about 2 minutes. Add the Essence and remove from the heat.
Fill the hollowed-out bread loaves with equal amounts of the sausage-cheese mixture and wrap each in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven, unwrap, and sprinkle with parsley.
Serve warm with chips for dipping, if desired, or cut the bread crosswise into 2-inch slices.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William and Morrow, 1993.