Helen's Sausage Stuffed French Bread
- 2 (15-inch-long) French baguettes
- 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapenos
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces grated sharp Cheddar
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence, recipe follows
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- Corn or tortilla chips, for dipping, optional
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Using a serrated knife, trim the upper quarter off the length of the top of each loaf. Hollow out the center of the loaves, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell. Set aside.
Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring to break up any clumps. Add the jalapenos, bell peppers, and green onions. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the cream cheese, sour cream, and Cheddar and stir until completely melted, about 2 minutes. Add the Essence and remove from the heat.
Fill the hollowed-out bread loaves with equal amounts of the sausage-cheese mixture and wrap each loaf in aluminum foil. Place the loaves on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven, unwrap, and sprinkle with parsley.
Serve warm with chips for dipping, if desired, or cut the bread crosswise into 2-inch slices.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup