Homemade Bagel Chips with Creamy Garlic & Vegetable Spread
- 4 plain bagels
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- Creamy Garlic and Vegetable Spread, recipe follows
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Creamy Garlic and Vegetable Spread:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, softened in hot water, drained and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped black olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
With a sharp knife, very carefully slice the bagels one at a time as thinly as possible, for 8 to 10 thin slices per bagel. Spread in 1 layer on the prepared sheets.
Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. When oil starts to get warm, about 1 minute, remove from the heat and add the garlic and Essence. Let sit until the garlic perfumes the oil, about 10 minutes. Remove the garlic from the oil.
With a pastry brush, lightly brush the oil on the bagel chips. Bake until golden brown. Turn and bake on the second side until just crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on wire racks.
To serve, arrange the bagel chips on a platter with the creamy garlic and vegetable spread.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.Creamy Garlic and Vegetable Spread:
In a bowl, cream together the cream cheese and sour cream. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.
Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Bring to room temperature before serving. (The spread will keep for 3 days refrigerated.)
Yield: about 1 1/4 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.