Homemade Goat Cheese
- 1 gallon goat's milk (unpasteurized)
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon liquid rennet or 1 tablet rennet (available in health food stores)
- Olive oil, for seasoning if desired
- Salt, for seasoning if desired
- Pepper, for seasoning if desired
In a large nonreactive saucepan, combine the goat's milk, buttermilk, and rennet. Heat over low heat until the mixture reaches a temperature of 180 degrees F. Transfer to a nonreactive bowl and allow to sit overnight, covered, until the curds and whey separate. Line a colander with several layers of cheesecloth and ladle the curds into the colander. Discard whey. Fold cheesecloth over top of curds and allow to drain overnight, refrigerated.
Remove cheesecloth and season, to taste, with olive oil and salt and pepper, if desired.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2005