Individual Baked Tomato, Mozzarella, and Fresh Basil Pies
- 4 individual puff pastry tart shells, blind-baked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup roasted garlic puree
- 12 slices tomatoes
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chiffonade of basil
- 1/2 cup warm tomato sauce
- Essence, recipe follows
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush each tart shell with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Spread 1-ounce of the roasted garlic puree on the bottom of each shell. Lay 3 slices of the tomatoes and 2 slices of cheese in each shell. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble and brown.
Spoon the sauce on the bottom of a plate. Place a tart on a plate. Garnish with basil and Essence.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.