- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diagonally sliced celery
- 2 cups roughly chopped portobello mushroom caps
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Roasted Chicken Stock, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups diced potatoes, blanched in boiling salted water
- 1 cup diced carrots, blanched
- 1 cup sweet peas
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon Emeril's Poultry Rub, recipe follows
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley leaves
- 1 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon of water
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease 6 (10-ounce) ramekins.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and celery and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, garlic, and a pinch of salt and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 to 4 minutes to make a blond roux. Stir in the chicken stock and bring the liquid up to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until the sauce starts to thicken. Stir in the half-and-half, bring to a simmer, and continue to cook for 4 minutes. Stir in the remaining salt and pepper, potatoes, carrots, peas, chicken, poultry rub, poultry seasoning, cayenne, and parsley. Mix the filling thoroughly and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, if needed. Divide the chicken mixture evenly among the prepared ramekins.
Place a puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface, and roll out slightly to accommodate 3 large circles. Use a 5 1/2-inch round cutter to cut out 3 circles of puff pastry. Repeat with remaining puff pastry sheet. Using a pastry brush, paint the edges of each circle with the egg wash. Place each circle, egg wash side down onto the top of each ramekin, allowing the excess to hang over the edge of the ramekin. Press the excess pastry into the ramekin to seal. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Roasted Chicken Stock:
- 1 leftover roasted chicken carcass, breast and thigh meat removed
- 2 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 2 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
Combine all ingredients in large pot. Cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
Strain stock through strainer or colander into a large bowl or pot. Press down solids to extract as much stock as possible. Reduce down to 3 cups stock. Let cool and refrigerate for up to a week or freeze.
Yield: 3 cups
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients thoroughly. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.