James Beard Sweet Potato Rolls
- 2 packages of yeast (1/4-ounce packages)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water (110 to 115 degrees)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 eggs, one of which is beaten together with 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 2 to 3 minutes adding only enough flour to prevent it for sticking to the board. When the dough is smooth and springy, shape it into a ball. Place in an oiled bowl, and coat the dough completely with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Brush the rolls with the beaten egg and cream mixture.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse