Jerked Leg of Goat
- 1 (3 pound) leg of kid trimmed of fat and membranes
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 to 3 Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Place the goat in a large, re-sealable plastic bag.
In a blender or food processor, combine all the remaining ingredients and process to make a smooth paste. Pour into the bag with the goat, rubbing to coat evenly. Seal and refrigerate at least 6 hours, or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Remove the goat from the bag and place in a roasting pan to come to room temperature. Roast until medium-rare, and an instant-read thermometer registers 145 to 150 degrees F, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, turning once.
Recipe courtesy of Tom Pizzica
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse