Jitterbug's Bread Pudding with Rum Creme Anglaise
- 6 slices white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk, scalded
- 2 cups sliced canned peaches in syrup, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 cup chopped or crushed canned pineapple in syrup, drained, liquid reserved
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 8 thin slices
- 1 recipe Rum Creme Anglaise, recipe follows
- Rum Creme Anglaise:
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 1/4 cup dark rum
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Toss the bread cubes with the melted butter in a large bowl, spread on a large baking sheet, and bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a 7 by 11-inch baking dish and set aside.
Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the sugar, rum, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt and whisk to combine. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly. Add the syrup from both canned, drained fruits and whisk to combine.
Spoon the pudding into dessert bowls, ladle 3 to 4 tablespoons of the rum sauce over each serving, and serve.Rum Creme Anglaise:
Whisk together the egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar, and vanilla in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in the warm milk and cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens, 3 to 4 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a medium bowl and stir in the rum. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.