Jumbo Lump Crabmeat Timbale in a Clear Tomato Juice
- Clear Tomato Juice:
- 3 pounds very ripe tomatoes, seeded and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 3 tablespoons vodka
- Crabmeat Timbales:
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced zucchini, green part only
- 1/4 cup finely diced yellow squash, yellow part only
- 1/4 cup finely diced red pepper
- 4 teaspoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
Place the tomatoes in a food processor and pulse to chop, not puree. Season with the salt and white pepper. Place in a large piece of cheesecloth and draw up the ends to form a tight package. Hang over a bowl overnight in the refrigerator. Discard the tomatoes. (If the tomato juice is not perfectly clear, strain through a coffee filter.) Stir in the vodka and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
Combine the crabmeat, parsley, tarragon, chives, extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and white pepper in a medium bowl, and mix gently.
Place a 1/2-cup ring mold (or 3-inch diameter ring) in the center of a shallow, rimmed soup bowl. Stuff 1/2 cup of the crabmeat mixture into the mold, and ladle 1/2 cup of the tomato water into the bowl. Remove the ring mold, and garnish the rim of the bowl with 1 tablespoon each of the zucchini, squash, and red bell pepper. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the basil in the broth and serve immediately.