- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 pound 21 to 25 count shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 2 teaspoons Asian spice mix, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 8 ounces (1/2 16-ounce box) katafi (shredded phyllo pastry), defrosted and covered with a damp towel
- 1 large head Bibb lettuce, separated into leaves, tough stem ends removed, washed and spun dry
- Chinese pickled vegetables, chopped
- Kicked Up Hoisin Sauce, recipe follows
In a wok, preheat the oil to 375 degrees F.
In a bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add the water, whisking until the batter is smooth and thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon. Place the shrimp in the batter and toss to coat.
Unroll the katafi, a small amount at a time, and cut into lengths the same size as the shrimp, about 4-inches. Spread the cut katafi on a work surface and cover with a damp towel to keep from drying out. One at a time, lay the shrimp on the cut katafi and roll to completely wrap inside. In batches, add to the oil and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Emeril's Asian Spice Blend:
- 1 tablespoon 5-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
In a small bowl, blend all the ingredients. Keep in an airtight container until ready to use.
Kicked Up Hoisin Sauce:
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic, chopped
- 1 small red Szechuan chile pepper, stem removed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup store-bought hoisin sauce
Combine the vinegar, sugar, garlic and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Place the onions and celery in a food processor or blender and process on high speed until smooth. With the machine running, add the vinegar mixture in a steady stream through the feed tube. Add the hoisin sauce and process until smooth.