Kicked Up Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings, tips removed and cut in half at joint, rinsed and wiped dry
- 1/2 cup red hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
In a large shallow, non-reactive bowl combine the chicken, hot sauce, pepper, and salt, and toss well to combine. Cover the chicken with plastic wrap, refrigerate, and let marinate, for at least 1 hour, and up to 3 hours.
In a heavy pot, heat the oil to 360 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and 2 tablespoons Essence. Remove the chicken from the marinade and add to the flour 1 at a time, tossing to coat evenly.
Add the chicken in 2 batches to the hot oil and cook, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the chicken wings from the fryer with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
Sprinkle with the remaining Essence and serve immediately with Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce:
Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process on high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour into a decorative bowl.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.