Kicked Up Pimento and Tuna Deviled Eggs
- 8 hardboiled eggs, peeled and cut in 1/2lengthwise, yolks removed and reserved separately
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped black or green olives
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimento, plus thin strips for garnish, if desired
- 2 teaspoons minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon nonpareil capers, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot paprika, plus more for sprinkling on top for garnish
- 3 tablespoons drained and flaked light tuna packed in olive oil, preferably Italian
In a small mixing bowl mash the egg yolks with the back of a fork. Add the mayonnaise and olive oil and mix until smooth. Add the olives, onion, pimento, parsley, capers, vinegar, salt and hot paprika and mix well to combine. Add the flaked tuna and fold gently to combine, trying to keep the tuna flakes intact. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Using a small spoon, divide the filling evenly among the wells of the cooked egg whites and garnish the top of each filled egg with 1 or 2 small strips of pimento, if desired. Sprinkle lightly with paprika. Serve immediately or refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, for up to overnight before serving.
(Note: if refrigerating overnight, sprinkle with the paprika just before serving.)
Thank you! your flag was submitted.