For the sauce:
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons lightly toasted sesame seeds
For the pancakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 pound finely chopped shrimp
- 3 ounces green onions, trimmed, quartered lengthwise, and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 small zucchini, cut into fine julienne
- 1 small carrot, cut into fine julienne
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Chives, for garnish, optional
Make the sauce by combining the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, crushed red pepper and sesame seeds in a small bowl, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside while you make the pancakes.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, water, and eggs and mix gently until just combined. Add the shrimp, green onions zucchini, carrot, garlic, and salt and fold together briefly just to combine.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and, when hot, coat with 2 teaspoons of the vegetable oil. Add 1/4 of the pancake batter and use a spoon to spread into a 6 to 8-inch circle, trying to get the filling ingredients as evenly spread out as possible. Cook until the pancake about 4 minutes. Once the pancake has begun to set and is golden brown on the bottom, flip the pancake to the other side, pressing with a spatula to compress ingredients. Cook until golden brown on the second side, about 2 minutes longer, transfer to a warm plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm while you prepare the remaining pancakes.