Lamb Sausage Ragout with Portobello Mushrooms over Fettuccine
- 2 pounds Italian style lamb sausage, substitute with regular Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 plum tomatoes, halves and pureed in the food processor (about 4 to 5 cups puree)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 pound rigatoni
- Grilled Portobellos, recipe follows
- 1/4 pound Pecorino Foje de Noce
Heat a large Dutch over medium-high heat. Add enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Add the sausage and cook just until well browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add the crushed red pepper flakes. Add the fresh tomato puree and the red wine and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Bring a large pasta pot of water to a boil. Season with salt. Add the rigatoni and cook according to package directions, or until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
Place the portobello mushrooms on the bottom of a large platter. Top with the drained pasta. Pour the ragout over the pasta. Shave curls of the pecorino over the pasta with a vegetable peeler.Grilled Portobellos:
4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat a grill or a grill pan.
Drizzle both sides of the mushrooms with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the grill and grill until tender, about 4 minutes per side.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2003
Recipe courtesy of Vic "Vegas" Moea
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray