- 1 cup black bean chili, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno, or to taste
- 1 cup chopped seeded ripe tomato
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seed removed, and diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Tortilla Chips, for dipping
In a 9-inch pie dish, spread the black bean chili. Layer the remaining ingredients in the order given, spreading each one to the edge of the dish. Serve with the tortilla chips.
Emeril's Vegetarian Microwave Black Bean Chili:
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 4 cups hot water
In a 3-quart baking dish, combine the beans with 2 cups of water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, carefully peel back an edge of the plastic, and let sit 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of very hot water, stir, recover, and let sit for 1 hour.
Drain the beans in a colander.
Heat the vegetable oil in the baking dish for 1 minute on high. Add the onions, garlic, jalapeno, bay leaf, chili powder, cumin, Essence, and salt, and stir to coat. Cook, uncovered, on high for 4 minutes. Stir well. Add the beans and stir to combine. Add 4 cups of hot water, stir, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Cook on high for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand covered for 15 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.