- 8 ounces French green lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons chopped herbs (parsley, thyme, oregano)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- French Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 1/2 pound thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips, cooked until crisp, and drained
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils, bay leaves, thyme, carrot, celery, shallot, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are soft. Cover with water by 1-inch, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until just tender yet still firm, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and discard the bay leaves, and thyme. Place the lentil mixture in a large bowl and set aside to cool. Add the tomatoes and chopped herbs and toss the lentils with some of the vinaigrette. Top with bacon and goat cheese and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
Serve with crusty bread or fish or chicken.French Vinaigrette:
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon minced shallot
3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup vegetable oil
Whisk together the vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper. Then beat in the oil by droplets, whisking constantly. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Use at once or cover and refrigerate, whisking or shaking again before use.
Yield: 1 1/3 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.