- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups fish stock
- 24 mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 3/4 pound medium white shrimp (about 24), shelled and deveined
- 1 pound dried linguine
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup finely grated pecorino
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
In a small saucepan, bring the wine to a simmer. Remove from the heat and add the saffron. Set aside. In a medium stockpot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the fish stock and saffron-wine mixture and bring a boil. Add mussels, cover, and cook for 1 minute. Add the shrimp, cover and simmer until the mussels open.
Add the linguine to the boiling water and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Return the pasta, cooking liquid and 1 cup of the shellfish-saffron broth to the pot, and toss to coat.