- 24 fresh little neck clams, shucked and on the half shell
- 4 cups finely crushed ice
- 1/4 cup plus 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons finely crushed white pepper
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 ounce caviar
Put 1 cup of ice in each of 4 large, shallow, rimmed soup bowls, or small, decorative trays and press down gently to make a level bed. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the kosher salt over each bowl of ice. Place 6 clams in their shells on each bed.
Spoon an equal amount of the sauce over each, or place in small decorative ramekins and serve on the side.