Lobster Ceviche with Yucca Chips
- 2 quarts peanut oil
- 1 small yucca root, peeled, cut in 1/2 crosswise, and sliced lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices
- 1/4 cup kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 pound spiny lobster tails, shelled
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup seeded and diced tomatoes
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped cilantro leaves, plus leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Set a large, 6-quart stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and add the peanut oil. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F. Fry the yucca in 2 batches until golden brown and crispy, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined platter and season lightly with salt.
Place a 1-gallon stockpot over high heat and fill with 2 quarts of water. Add the kosher salt and bring to a boil. When boiling, add the lobster tails to the pot and immediately turn off the heat. Let the lobster sit until just cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the lobster from the water and set aside to cool completely.
Once the lobster tails are cool, chop into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a medium non-reactive bowl. Add the lemon, lime and orange juices and stir in the cucumber, red onion and chiles. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Add the tomato, avocado, chopped cilantro, and olive oil to the lobster mixture and stir to combine. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.