- 2 quarts peanut oil
- 1 small yucca root, peeled, cut in 1/2 crosswise, and sliced lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices
- 1/4 cup kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 pound spiny lobster tails, shelled
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup seeded and diced tomatoes
- 1 Hass avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped cilantro leaves, plus leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Set a large, 6-quart stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and add the peanut oil. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F. Fry the yucca in 2 batches until golden brown and crispy, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined platter and season lightly with salt.
Place a 1-gallon stockpot over high heat and fill with 2 quarts of water. Add the kosher salt and bring to a boil. When boiling, add the lobster tails to the pot and immediately turn off the heat. Let the lobster sit until just cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the lobster from the water and set aside to cool completely.
Once the lobster tails are cool, chop into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a medium non-reactive bowl. Add the lemon, lime and orange juices and stir in the cucumber, red onion and chiles. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Add the tomato, avocado, chopped cilantro, and olive oil to the lobster mixture and stir to combine. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.