- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cups chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 lemons, quartered and juiced
- 3/4 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 (1 1/4-pound) lobsters
- 8 cups mache or a chiffonade of mixed greens
- Cilantro-Avocado Dressing, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 cups halved teardrop tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups diced hearts of palm
- 1 1/2 cups orange segments, white pith removed
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
Set a 6-quart stockpot with 1-gallon of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, vinegar, lemons and juice, salt and cayenne pepper. Bring the pot to a boil and allow to cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Place the lobster into the water and cook until red and cooked through, about 7 to 8 minutes. Immediately immerse in ice water to halt the cooking. Once the lobsters have cooled, remove from the water and set aside.
Use a chef's knife to crack the shell of the lobsters and remove the tail meat and claw meat. Chop the lobster into 1/2-inch pieces, and set aside. Place a sixth of the greens into each of 6 large chilled martini glasses. Drizzle a little of the dressing over the greens. Place 1/4 cup of the tomatoes in each of the glasses, as well as 1/4 cup of the hearts of palm, 1/4 cup orange segments and a sixth of the chopped lobster. Drizzle more of the dressing over the parfait and garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs. Serve immediately.
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves, blanched and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 lime, zested
- 1 to 2 limes, juiced (4 to 5 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon green hot sauce, or to taste
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
Yield: about 2 cups
Cook's Note: Any leftover avocado dressing makes a great dip for chips or veggies!