Lobster, Shrimp and Stone Crab Creole
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pint cooled Lobster Stock, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1/2 chopped green onions, green tops only
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 8 stone crab claws, slightly cracked
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Reserved lobster tail meat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups steamed long grain rice, accompaniment
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour, stir, and cook, stirring constantly with a heavy wooden spoon, to make a medium brown-colored roux, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the onions, celery, peppers, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
Whisk in the cooled lobster stock, then add the sugar, tomatoes, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, lemon zest and hot sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, until thick, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Add the green onions, parsley, stone crab claws, shrimp and reserved lobster meat. Continue to simmer only until the seafood is just done, about 5 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve stew over rice, with additional hot sauce on the side.Lobster Stock:
4 Florida (spiny) lobster tails with their shells (or whole lobsters, if available)
2 1/2 cups water
1 medium onion, quartered
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
Shell and devein the lobster tails. Chop the meat, cover and refrigerate for use in the stew.
In a large saucepan, combine the shells and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Discard the shells and vegetables, reserving the stock.
Yield: about 1 pint
Thank you! your flag was submitted.