- 1/2 pound cold, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 large egg white, cold
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup cold heavy cream
- 6 ounces lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 large egg, beaten with 2 teaspoons water, for egg wash
- 4 fresh pasta sheets, measuring about 9 by 15 inches
- Red Pepper Cream Sauce, recipe follows
- 16 spears Blanched Asparagus, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, for garnish
- 4 teaspoons finely sliced fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Cook's Note: To achieve the right consistency, make sure that the shrimp and egg white are very cold, and chill the food processor bowl and blade in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before beginning.
Combine the shrimp, egg white, parsley, basil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and white pepper in a food processor and pulse for 5 seconds. Scrape down the sides and pulse for 5 seconds. With the machine running, add the cream through the feed tube in a steady stream. Transfer to a bowl and fold in the crabmeat, cheese, and shallots.
Place 1 pasta sheet on a work surface. Scoop heaping tablespoons of the crabmeat filling evenly down the sheet, about 4 inches apart in 2 rows of 4. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the areas around the filling with egg wash. Place another pasta sheet on top and press down around each mound of filling to squeeze out the air pockets and seal. With a 4-inch round cutter, cut into individual ravioli.
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the ravioli and cook until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and divide among 4 plates. Drizzle the sauce on top and arrange the asparagus on the side. Garnish each portion with the cheese and basil and serve immediately.
Red Pepper Cream Sauce:
2 red bell peppers (about 3/4 pound), cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
Combine the bell peppers and cream in a medium heavy pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced by half, about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
Yield: 2 cups
16 asparagus spears
With a sharp knife, remove the tough woody ends from the asparagus. Lay the asparagus flat, align the tips, and trim the spears to the same length.
Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until just tender, 1 to 2 minutes, depending upon their thickness. Drain and transfer to an ice bath to stop the cooking; drain and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings