- 2 1/2 pounds pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound pork liver, rinsed in cool water
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped green onion tops, (green part only)
- 6 cups cooked medium-grain rice
- 1 1/2 -inch diameter, casings, about 4 feet in length
In a large sauce pan, combine the pork butt, pork liver, water, onions, garlic, bell peppers, celery, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until the pork and liver are tender. Remove from the heat and drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the broth. Using a meat grinder with a 1/4-inch die, grind the pork mixture. 1/2 cup of the parsley, and 1/2 cup of the green onions, together. Turn the mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in the rice, remaining salt, cayenne, black pepper, parsley and green onions. Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix thoroughly. Either using a feeding tube or a funnel, stuff the sausage into the casings and make 3 inch links.. Bring 1 gallon of salted water up to a boil. Poach the sausage for about 5 minutes, or until the sausage is firm to the touch and plump. Remove from the water and allow to cool.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.