Manly Mexican Bites
- 24 ounces chorizo or other hot sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 4 large fresh jalapenos, stems and ends removed, cut into 20 slices about 1/4-inch thick each
- 12 corn tortillas
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Spicy Sour Cream Dip, recipe follows
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Spicy Sour Cream Dip:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- 1 teaspoon abobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a skillet, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, stirring, until browned and the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes. Add the onions, garlic, Essence, and chili powder, and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
In a bowl, combine the cheeses.
Place 4 tortillas on a work surface. Top each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the sausage mixture.
Top each with some cheese and a few jalapeno slices and top with another tortilla.
Add another layer of sausage, cheese, and jalapeno finishing with 1 more tortilla. Each stack should be 3 tortillas and 2 layers of filling.
Press firmly down on the top of each stack.
Lightly oil the grill or griddle and cook the stacks for about 3 minutes per side, or until the tortillas are golden brown and the cheese is melted. Cut each into 4 pieces.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cupSpicy Sour Cream Dip:
In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups