Marcelle's Shrimp Burgers
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 hamburger buns, split in 1/2 crosswise and lightly toasted
- Homemade Tartar Sauce, recipe follows
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced vine-ripened tomatoes
In a bowl, combine the shrimp, onions, bell peppers and celery with the beaten egg. Add 1 teaspoon of the Essence, the salt, cayenne, green onions, parsley and baking powder and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Remove the mixture from the refrigerator and form into 6 patties.
In a shallow bowl, combine the flour with the remaining teaspoon Essence. One at a time, dredge the patties on both sides to lightly coat with flour.
In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp patties in batches and cook on both sides until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.Homemade Tartar Sauce :
1 cup homemade or good quality store-bought mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped green onions (green part only)
2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
1 tablespoon chopped capers
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Adjust seasoning to taste. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour before using. Serve chilled within 24 hours.
Yield: about 1 1/4 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.