- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 cups fresh lime juice (about 20 to 24 limes)
- 1 cup high quality tequila (recommended: Cuervo Gold or Encantado)
- 1/2 cup orange liqueur (recommended: Cointreau or Triple Sec)
- 1/2 cup bitter orange liqueur (recommended: Blue Curacao)
- 1/2 cup coarse sugar crystals, for garnish
- 4 thin slices lime
- 2 teaspoons fine lime zest
In a heavy medium saucepan, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir, and simmer until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. In a large bowl, combine the syrup with the lime juice, tequila, orange liqueur and bitter orange liqueur, and whisk well.
Pour into a rectangular freezer-proof container and freeze just until ice crystals begin to uniformly form, about 2 hours.
Remove from the freezer and scrape the mixture with a fork to break up the crystals. Return to the freezer and freeze for 30 minutes. Remove again from the freezer and scrape, then return to the freezer. Continue the scraping/freezing process another 3 times, for a total of 4 hours. (If not serving after 4 hours, tightly cover with plastic wrap and freeze until ready to serve.)
To serve, place the sugar crystals on a plate. Dip the rims of 4 tall, stemmed glasses in water and then into the sugar to form a crust. Divide the Margarita Ice between the glasses. Garnish each rim with a lime slice, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of lime zest, and serve immediately.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.