- 1 (2 1/2 pound) tri-tip London Broil or flank steak
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Creole mustard, or other spicy whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- Emeril's Homemade Steak Sauce, recipe follows
Place the flank steak in a large, plastic resealable bag.
In a large, glass measuring cup, combine red wine vinegar, red wine, olive oil, Worcestershire, soy sauce, mustard, essence, salt, pepper, and garlic. Pour the marinade into the bag with the steak, seal and place inside a large, glass baking dish to prevent possible spills. Marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours (or at least 6 hours).
Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to high heat. (Alternately, preheat the broiler). Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Place the steak on the grill (or under the broiler) and cook to desired doneness, about 6 minutes per side for rare. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes before carving.
Slice across the grain into thin diagonal slices. Serve steak with sauce.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Emeril's Homemade Steak Sauce:
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/4 pounds plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/4 cup chopped mango
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 pound turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 (2-inch) cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Combine chicken stock, tomatoes, mango, yellow onions, turnip, jalapeno, ketchup, raisins, cinnamon, cloves, light brown sugar, vinegars, molasses, Worcestershire, garlic, ginger, coriander, chili powder, and cayenne in a medium, heavy pot and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove the sauce from the heat and puree on high speed with an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor. Add the orange and lemon juices and process to blend.