Marinated Chicken and Vegetable Skewers with Creamy Italian Dressing
- For the Creamy Italian Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, plus 2 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons Essence
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean and stems trimmed
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cubed into 8ths
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, stem end trimmed, seeds removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 pound mixed greens, for serving
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
DirectionsFor the Creamy Italian Dressing:
Place the parsley, onions, basil, garlic, oregano, thyme, essence and the vinegar in a blender or food processor. With the motor running, add the olive oil, the heavy cream, mayonnaise, and cheese, and blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer half to a decorative bowl.
Place the chicken in a large glass bowl and toss with 2 teaspoons of the Essence. Pour the remaining dressing over the chicken and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the oven rack in the top position. Line a baking sheet with foil.
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and pat dry with paper towels. Thread one chicken cube onto a skewer, followed by a mushroom, a piece of bell pepper, a cherry tomato, zucchini and a chunk of onion. Continue threading ingredients onto the skewer, until full. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Place the filled skewers on the baking sheet. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Place greens on a large platter. Hold one end of each skewer with an oven mitt, with a fork push the chicken and vegetables from the skewer onto the platter. Serve with the Creamy Italian Dressing.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay