- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 pound crumbled blue cheese (recommended: Maytag)
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- Dash hot sauce (recommended: Crystal)
- 1 pound small pasta shells, cooked until al dente
- 1 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk, 1/2 cup at a time. Season with white pepper. Cook, stirring constantly for 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheese and egg yolks. Season with the hot sauce and salt if needed.
In a large mixing bowl, toss the pasta with the sauce. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. In a small mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Sprinkle the pasta with the bread crumbs. Bake until the top is golden and bubbly, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for about 5 minutes before serving.