Mediterranean Green Beans
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 to 4 whole garlic cloves
- 3 to 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted and halved
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup pimientos or roasted red pepper strips
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Blanch green beans in very salty water until crisp-tender. Drain and transfer to an ice bath to cool briefly.
In a large skillet heat olive oil until hot. Add the garlic cloves and the anchovy fillets and saute briefly. Add green olives and pimientos and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the green beans, crushed red pepper and salt, to taste. Continue to saute until green beans are hot and the flavors have come together, about 4 to 6 minutes. Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001