Mediterranean Vegetable Salad
- 11/2 pounds baby artichokes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 11/2 pounds red bliss potatoes, quartered
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped oil-cured black olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Remove the tough outer leaves from the artichokes and cut the top quarter from each. Trim the stem ends as necessary. Cut in half lengthwise. As they are trimmed, place in a large non-reactive baking dish and toss with the lemon juice. Add the potatoes, onions, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and toss to evenly coat the vegetables. Spread evenly and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes and stir well. Cook until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool. Add the olives and capers, and toss with the parsley and herbes de Provence. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and add additional olive oil, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman