- 1 (1 1/2 pound) black cod fillet, scaled and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup ginger, julienned
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch strips lengthwise
- 1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, cut into thick rings
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Steamed white rice, for serving
Season the cod with the kosher salt and black pepper and place in a large casserole. In a small bowl mix the ginger, garlic and the Scotch Bonnet pepper, rub this mixture all over the fish. IMPORTANT: USE RUBBER GLOVES FOR THIS PLEASE!
In a separate mixing bowl combine the coconut milk, rum, lime juice, sugar and 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Pour this mixture over the cod and wrap with plastic. Refrigerate and let marinate for 4 hours, refrigerated, turning occasionally to ensure even marination.
Prepare a stovetop smoker by placing 2 tablespoons of mesquite chips in the base of the smoker. Place the drip pan in the smoker and the rack on top of the drip pan. Lay the bell peppers and onions on top of the rack. Position the lid over the top of the smoker so that it is almost closed. Place the smoker on the stove top over medium heat and cook until the pan begins to smoke. Once smoke begins to rise from the pan, cover the smoker completely and smoke the vegetables for 15 minutes. Remove the lid, place the fish on top of the vegetables, and cover. Cook until the fish flakes easily, 25 to 30 minutes longer.