Mini Open-Faced Corn Cake and Salmon Salad Sandwich with Beluga Caviar
- For the Corn Cakes:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn kernels, from 1 medium-size ear
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup masa harina flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- For the Salmon Salad:
- 8 ounces cured salmon
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs
- 1 tablespoon capers, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon caper juice/brine
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 (7-ounce) tin Beluga caviar
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
DirectionsFor the Salmon Salad:
Heat the olive oil in a medium-size saute pan over medium heat. Add the corn, shallots, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the black pepper and cook, stirring, until the corn and shallots are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Combine the eggs and cream in a large mixing bowl and whisk to blend well. Add the cornmeal, flour, masa harina, baking powder, cayenne, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the water. Mix well. Fold in the corn-and-shallot mixture.
Heat 1/2 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, gently drop the batter, a tablespoon at a time, into the pan. You can cook about eight cakes at a time. Cook until the cakes are lightly golden on both sides, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Repeat until all of the oil and the batter are used up.
For the salmon salad: Chop the salmon into small pieces. Chop the eggs and add to the salmon. Add the capers and caper juice. Mix well. Stir in enough mayonnaise to desired consistency. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Drain the cakes on paper towels. Sprinkle with the Essence.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Mini Open-Faced Corn Cake and Salmon Salad Sandwich with Beluga Caviar, Mini Corn Cakes with Avocado and Tomatoes, Mini Open Faced Steak Sandwiches on Garlic Bread with Aged Provolone and Parsley Oil, Pork Shoulder Recipes, Easy Lunch, Cornmeal Recipes, Latin American, Thanksgiving Appetizers, Bass
Thank you! your flag was submitted.