Minted Pea Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 4 cups freshly shelled peas
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Toasted Pita Bread Triangles
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
In a large, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, Essence, and salt, and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and peas and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until the peas are tender, about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and puree with a hand-held immersion blender (or puree in batches in a food processor). Stir in the cream and mint, and serve warm with toasted pita bread triangles.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.