- 1/2 cup mirin (sweet sake)
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1 cup white or yellow miso paste
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 (6 to 8-ounce) black cod fillets
- Steamed white rice, accompaniment
- Cucumber Relish, recipe follows
- Green onions, cut on the bias, garnish
- 1 tablespoon lightly toasted white and dark sesame seeds, garnish
In a medium saucepan, bring the mirin and sake to a boil. Remove from the heat, add the miso and stir until dissolved. Add the sugar, return to a low heat, and stir until dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
Place the fish in a non-reactive baking dish. Cover with the cooled marinade, cover with plastic, and let marinate overnight refrigerated, or at least 4 hours.
Preheat the broiler.
Remove the fish from the marinade and place on a broil pan. Blot the miso from the fillets with a kitchen towel. Broil until lightly browned and the fish is opaque in the center, 6 to 10 minutes, depending upon the size of the fillets and the height of the broiler element.
Remove from the oven. Spoon rice onto each of 4 plates and top with the fillets. Arrange the cucumber relish to the side of the fish, and garnish each serving with the green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Sprinkle the cucumber with the salt and let drain in a colander for 20 minutes. Pat dry in kitchen towels. In a bowl, combine the cucumber slices with the remaining ingredients. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. Serve slightly chilled.
Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 20 minutes