Mixed Fruit Pandowdy
- 2 apples such as Golden Delicious or Granny Smith, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 pears such as Anjou, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 4 nectarines or peaches, pitted and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 plums, pitted and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cup strawberries, rinsed and patted dry, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup blackberries, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl combine the apples, pears, nectarines, plums, strawberries, and blackberries with the lemon juice and cornstarch and toss to combine. Add 1/2 cup sugar, cloves, nutmeg, and salt and stir well. Butter a deep pie dish or a 9 by 12-inch baking dish with 1/2 tablespoon of the butter. Transfer the fruit mixture to the buttered dish, and dot the top of the fruit mixture with the remaining tablespoon of butter.
Bake the fruit, uncovered, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2006