Moules a la Mariniere (Steamed Mussels in White Wine)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 pounds medium to large black mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/2 cup Vouvray, or Gruner Veltliner
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
Set a large Dutch oven over medium heat and add the butter, shallots, garlic, bay leaf and thyme, once the butter has begun to melt, stir the ingredients and place the lid over the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the mussels. Replace the cover and cook the mussels for 1 minute, or until they begin to open. Remove the lid and add remaining ingredients, stir to combine, cover, and remove from the heat. Allow to sit for 2 to 3 minutes, or until all mussels are opened. To serve, divide the mussels between four large soup bowls and pour the cooking juices over the mussels. Serve with crusty, grilled bread.
Contains Shellfish: Consumption of raw or undercooked shellfish may substantially increase the risk of foodborne illness.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.