- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 to 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- Vegetable oil
- 8 ounces chorizo, halved crosswise
- 1 cup bottled chili sauce, optional
Preheat the grill, or an oven to 350 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, combine the beef, pork, onion, bell pepper, garlic, eggs, cream, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and Essence, and stir with a wooden spoon to blend thoroughly. Divide the mixture into fourths. Form 2 pieces into a loaf shape about 9 by 4-inches. Lay one sausage down the middle of each loaf. Mold the remaining 2 meatloaf portions over and around the sausages to cover it completely, and seal into 2 oblong loaves.
Rub the entire surface of the meatloaf with vegetable oil and make sure the grill is well oiled. Place on the hot grill and brown on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side, turning with spatulas. Transfer to the rack above the grill, and top each meatloaf with 1/2 cup chili sauce. Close the grill lid and cook until the meatloaves reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees F, about 45 minutes.
Remove from the grill and transfer to a cutting board or serving platter and let rest for 10 minutes before serving. (Alternately, the meatloaves can be placed on a lightly greased baking sheet and roasted in a preheated 350 degrees F oven until an internal temperature of 160 degrees F is reached, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, basting occasionally with the pan juices.)
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.