Mushroom and Artichoke Stuffed Trout
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white or black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fish or shrimp stock
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped chives
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 (3 to 3 1/2 pound) whole trout, cleaned
- 1 whole lemon, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat the butter in a large skillet until foamy. Add the mushrooms and saute, stirring occasionally, until soft and they have released their liquid, about 4 minutes. Add the shallots, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid has evaporated and shallots are soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the lemon juice and fish stock and cook until almost evaporated, 2 minutes. Add the heavy cream and artichoke hearts and cook until heated through and the cream has evaporated a bit, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the parsley, chives, and enough bread crumbs to tighten mixture.
Season the inside cavity of the trout well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stuff the cavity of the trout with the stuffing and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Arrange half of the lemon slices on top of the stuffing mixture, in the cavity. Drizzle the outside of the trout with the extra-virgin olive oil and season the fish on the outside with salt and pepper,to taste. Arrange the remaining lemon slices on top of the fish. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the fish flakes easily and the stuffing is cooked through.