Mushrooms a la Greque
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 1/4 cup minced fennel
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, plus 2 teaspoons
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 cups fresh wild mushrooms (oyster, cremini, shiitake, etc.), trimmed and quartered if large (left whole if small)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 head escarole, cleaned and halved, stem intact
- 2 cups halved radishes
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Crusty bread, as accompaniment
In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the celery, fennel, and shallots, and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes.
Add 1 teaspoon garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the water, white wine, lemon juice, peppercorns, coriander seeds and fennel seeds. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Strain the liquid and return to the saucepan with the mushrooms. Stir to coat and simmer for 10 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon and arrange in a serving dish. Bring the broth to a boil and reduce until thickened almost to a syrup-like consistency. Adjust the seasoning and pour the broth over the mushrooms. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
In a separate pan, add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons garlic and saute for 15 seconds. Add escarole and radishes and season with salt and pepper and saute for 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock, just to cover the vegetables and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, or until the escarole is tender.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.