- 3/4 pound bacon, julienned
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn
- 1 teaspoon crab boil seasoning
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 pounds small cultivated mussels
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Crusty bread, as an accompaniment
In a large nonstick stockpot, over medium heat, render the bacon for 10 minutes. Stir in the onions, celery, and carrots. Season the vegetables with salt, cayenne, and bay leaves. Saute for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and tender.
Stir in the flour and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the chicken stock and bring up to a boil. Add the potatoes and corn. Stir in the crab boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. Stir in the half-and-half and parsley. Add the mussels and simmer the soup for 5 minutes. Stir in the hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer the soup for 2 minutes. Serve hot with crusty bread.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.