Mussels in Lemon Grass Broth
- Lemon Grass Broth:
- 3 cups shrimp stock, or fish stock
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves, or 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions (green parts only)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 11/2 teaspoons grated ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds fresh mussels, well rinsed in several changes of water
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
For the lemon grass broth: In a medium, heavy pot, combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced to 1 cup in volume, 20 to 25 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean saucepan.
In a heavy, medium pot, heat the olive oil and sesame oil over medium-high heat to smoking. Add green the onions, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes, stir, and cook for 5 seconds. Add the mussels and stir to coat. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Add the lemon grass broth, cover, and cook for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and cilantro, and stir well to combine. Cook until the coconut milk is just warmed through, 15 seconds.
Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2002