Mussels in Lemon Grass Broth
- Lemon Grass Broth:
- 3 cups shrimp stock, or fish stock
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves, or 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions (green parts only)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 11/2 teaspoons grated ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds fresh mussels, well rinsed in several changes of water
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
For the lemon grass broth: In a medium, heavy pot, combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced to 1 cup in volume, 20 to 25 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean saucepan.
In a heavy, medium pot, heat the olive oil and sesame oil over medium-high heat to smoking. Add green the onions, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes, stir, and cook for 5 seconds. Add the mussels and stir to coat. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Add the lemon grass broth, cover, and cook for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and cilantro, and stir well to combine. Cook until the coconut milk is just warmed through, 15 seconds.
Remove from the heat and serve immediately.