- 4 bone-in veal chops, each about 12-ounces
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 bunch arugula, washed, patted dry, and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 ripe Roma tomatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds), cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup clarified butter, or vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
With a thin, sharp knife, cut a slit about 3-inches across and 1-inch deep into the meaty side of 1 of the chops, being careful not to cut all the way through to the bone. Gently pry open the slit and place the chop between 2 large pieces of plastic wrap on a work surface. Using a meat mallet, pound the chop to a 1/4-inch thickness. Season both sides of the chop with 1/2 teaspoon Essence. Repeat with the remaining chops. Combine the flour with 1 of the remaining tablespoons of Essence in a shallow bowl. Put the bread crumbs in another shallow bowl and season with the remaining tablespoon of Essence. Combine the eggs and milk in another shallow bowl and whisk to blend.
Toss the arugula, tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
Heat the clarified butter in a large, heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chops, 2 at a time, and cook until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Remove and place on 4 serving plates. Mound a portion of the arugula salad on top of each chop, and serve with a lemon wedge on the side.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.